Weekly Summary - Nov. 20, 2020

art struggles news weekly summary

I'm on a three-week stretch of actually writing about the week's studio adventures! (Last week is here, if you want to catch up.) Let's keep on keepin' on.

This last week was quite a bit less active in the studio. I suspect I was feeling lost after finishing that massive collage project the week before. I was thrilled with how it turned out, and I did not know what do with myself after that. I certainly don't have a new plan for another large collage like that--I used a lot of my paper scraps, and it's a project that takes over the whole studio space.

My accomplishment for the week was finishing up my first sketchbook. It's the stab-bound sketchbook I made for myself with 100% cotton paper. I've been using it since Oct. 2018! I'm not a huge sketchbook user so it took me a long time to finish this one. It was also pretty large--30 individual sheets of paper, so 60 for me since I use both sides. And honestly? That was too much for a stab bound book, so it ended up being inconvenient to use because it didn't like to stay open.

four pages from finished sketchbook

I used it for notes on color combos I liked, comparisons of the same pigment from different manufacturers, and technique practice.

Last week I also got back into color experiments, especially with purple. I think I finally found the only complimentary color that works with it: yellow ochre. Remembering that everyone advises artists to work in a series, I've been thinking about exploring complimentary colors again, since I have an option for yellow/purple now. (Although I also fall off the wagon of "working in a series" quite quickly as we know!)


Older Post Newer Post


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published